We went live with Linger at Bavikodla, near Gokarna, recently. A lot many folks have called in with “How do we get there?”.
So here goes:
- There’s a train that leave later in the evening, and gets there at 1:30 in the afternoon. If you’re on a longer vacation this is a good option. More at : http://indiarailinfo.com/search/bangalore-city-sbc-to-gokarna-road-gok/136/0/1776
- The station’s about 6 kms from where we are.
- Autos take you to our place for about Rs.120-140/-
- NH4 -> Bankapur -> Yellapur -> Ankola -> Gokarna Cross -> Gokarna Town
- NH4 -> NH206 (from Tumkur, towards Shimoga) -> right turns onto NH17 at Honnavara -> Kumta -> Gokarna Cross -> Gokarna. Recently reported to have been repaved so in decent conditioned. Shortest route.
- NH4 -> Left towards Sirsi at Haveri (many smaller roads, but scenic) -> Kumta -> Gokarna Cross -> Gokarna
- A whole bunch of trains, including some overnight ones, take you from Mumbai to Gokarna Cross, Kumta or Karwar.
- Kumta – Gokarna buses are very frequent.
- Karwar to Gokarna Cross buses are common, and fewer go into Gokarna. Autos are easily available from Gokarna Cross.
- The above mentioned trains can take you upto Gokrana Cross or Kumta. Doesn’t make sense to catch one upto Karwar since you’re still relatively far away.
- Lots of buses. Volvos headed towards Mangalore drop you off at Gokarna Cross.
- Its a pretty, easy drive. You can also stopover at the warship museum (INS Chapal) at Karwar on your way/back.
This photo of Warship Museum is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Driving your own vehicle makes sense if you’re not just on a quick weekend break, and would be up to exploring more of the beautiful places in Uttara Kannada – Yana, the numerous waterfalls, Mirjan Fort, maybe even catch a Yakshagana performance or two.
Notes : We’re north of the Gokarna Town/Temple/Beach – away from the usual hotspots of Om Beach, Paradise, or Kudle. Its a secluded, rural beachside with farms, and the last mile is a little tough to find – we’ll send you directions from Gokarna to our place as you start to plan your vacation. Do get in touch at email@example.com or at +91-95900-50001.
[ Also, Linger locations are NOT designed as resorts. We’re about local construction, local flavours and retaining the feel of the place. You’ll experience beachside Uttara Kannada as it always has been. ]
See you soon on the beach!